Odyssey of the Mind (Grades 3-5)
About Odyssey of the Mind
What is Odyssey of the Mind? It is a creative-problem solving competition in which:
- Students develop team-building skills by working in groups.
- Students learn to examine problems and to identify the real challenge without limiting the possible solutions and their potential success.
- The creative-thinking process is nurtured and developed as a problem-solving tool.
- Students of all types will find something that will appeal to them (art, technical skills, drama, engineering, etc)
Start & End Dates
- Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 - Saturday, February 24th, 2018
Odyssey of the Mind teams will be formed in early to mid-October at each TCAPS school that has enough participants and a volunteer coach to form a team. Those schools that have enough registered participants and coaches will be divided by grade level into the appropriate Odyssey of the Mind division breaks:
- Primary: K-2
- Division 1: 3-5
- Division 2: 6-8
This course section is for Division 1 (Grades 3-5), click here to register for the Primary Division (Grades K-2), or click here to register for Division 2 (Grades 6-8).
- Teams will be made up of 5-7 students
- Teams will prepare and compete in one of the six 2018 Odyssey of the Mind “problems” as well as prepare for the spontaneous portion of the competition.
- All necessary Odyssey of the Mind rules and guidelines will be provided to the team at the first practice session.
Volunteer Coaches will develop the Team's schedule once the team roster is filled. Typically teams meet 2 hours per week with members having some work to do in smaller groups or individually at times. As competition nears, teams may want to meet more often.
Practices will be held at the team's school.
- Team members may be asked to provide materials and/or contributions for the cost of materials depending on the team’s problem solution. This cost should be minimal but will offset the coach’s personal contribution.
- Additional costs and/or fundraising participation may be required for teams qualifying for competitions at the State or World Finals levels.
Teams are only limited to the number of Volunteer Coaches we have. If you are interested in learning more about coaching your child's Odyssey of the Mind team, please contact Tina Allen at email@example.com
- $50.00 per student* reduced fees are unavailable for this enrichment opportunity.
* There may be additional costs for supplies, please check with your team's volunteer coach.
Registration Deadline & Details
- Deadline: Sunday, October 15th, 2017.
- Late registration may become available at schools where teams are smaller than 5 team members at the date of the registration deadline.
- Register for your school below.
- If your child attends a school outside of TCAPS you may register for whichever school is geographically convenient for you.
Payment is required at the time of registration. To register online using a Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or ACH via a checking or savings account please register below. Payment with cash or check can be made in the LEAP office located at Central High School, 1150 Milliken, Traverse City. Please use the main school entrance, the LEAP office is located just inside the doors to the right. Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Please call the LEAP office at 231.933.1758 for more information.
NOTE: Registration is not complete until your course appears in your dashboard. You will also receive an email from Eleyo confirming your registration. If you do not receive the confirmation email or see the course in your dashboard, be sure you have not left any course items in your shopping basket. If you need assistance please call the LEAP office (231.933.1758). If you did not receive an email from Eleyo or see your course in your dashboard, the payment did not process and the student is not registered.
Filter Course Sections