The Bike Más Project
About The Bike Mas Project (4th - 7th grade):
LEAP and Norte are partnering to bring you the Bike Mas Project, an after school bike program aimed to bring adventure to 4th - 7th grade students who already know how to ride a bike.
Norte's Mission // Norte's Vision
Norte is dedicated to building stronger, better connected and more walk/bike friendly communities by empowering the young and young at heart.
Happy, healthy, strong communities.
Kids learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school or the park or the library or the beach – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same is, in our opinion, a powerful means to sustainable well-living and community healthfulness.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their neighborhood.
What steps can we take to get kids off the couch, off their screen and outside? How can we reduce childhood obesity, insane car lines at schools, traffic congestion, air pollution and social isolation? Organized sports and recreation are great but Norte believes that embedding walking and biking into our daily routine, is a significant part of the answer.
Norte’s youth-centered, active transportation-focused, neighborhood-based model combines four interconnected initiatives as a complete package to engage, empower and excite young people and keep them moving forward!
The Bike Más Project teaches confidence, independence, and urban bike safety skills through empowerment, education, and adventure (mucho adventure!) to students who already know how to ride a bike.
ALL Bike Más Project sessions are led by TRAINED Norte staff!
The Bike Más Project participants will:
-Explore Traverse City on their bike and discover its many awesome places.
-Learn how to bike safe and bike smart. -Develop bike repair and maintenance skills.
- Become a bike handling ninja. ‘Cause better bike handling = less crashing.
-Build confidence, be active, and have FUN!
Season Start & End Dates: Monday May 7th, 2018 - Friday June 1st, 2018.
Monday 2:40 - 4:10 - West Middle School Library
Monday 4:30 - 6:00 PM - Eastern Elementary School @ Norte Clubhouse
Wednesday 3:45 - 5:15 - Willow Hill Library
Wednesday 3:45 - 5:15 - Traverse Heights Library
Thursday 3:15 - 4:45 - Montessori at Glenn Loomis Library
Thursday 3:00 - 4:30 - Central Grade School Library
Friday 3:00 - 4:30 - Central Grade School Library
- Bring a water bottle, helmet, bike and snack to all sessions.
- 5 participant minimum and maximum per school.
- Participants will meet instructor in school Library no more than 10 minutes after dismissal.
- In the event school is closed, no LEAP activities will be held per TCAPS policy. There is no guarantee of a make-up date in the case of inclement weather. Missed sessions will only be made up if schedules allow.
- has bikes available for participants to borrow from Norte's Kids' Bike Library if needed.
- Cost: $25.00
- A reduced fee is available to those who qualify for the free and reduced meals program. Participation fees for those that qualify are as follows:
- Free & Reduced Meals Participation Fee $15.00.
If your child does not attend a TCAPS school, select the "Out of District" option.
- In an effort to be a good community partner, LEAP will accept non-TCAPS students when possible. Space is limited and enrollment may be capped for various offerings. For high demand activities TCAPS students will receive priority.
All Bike Más Project participants will receive:
- SWEET Norte T - Shirt
- Complimentary Family Membership to the Norte Clubhouse
Registration Deadline: Friday, May 4th, 2018.
Payment is required at the time of registration. To register online using a Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or ACH via a checking or savings account please register below. Payment with cash or check can be made in the LEAP office located at Central High School, 1150 Milliken, Traverse City.
Please use the Auditorium parking lot, the LEAP office is located just before the auditorium, in room F158.
Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Please call the LEAP office at 231.933.1758 for more information.
NOTE: Registration is not complete until your course appears in your dashboard. You will also receive an email from Eleyo confirming your registration. If you do not receive the confirmation email or see the course in your dashboard, be sure you have not left any course items in your shopping basket. If you need assistance please call the LEAP office (231.933.1758). If you did not receive an email from Eleyo or see your course in your dashboard, the payment did not process and the student is not registered.
Filter Course Sections