The Bike Más Project
About The Bike Más Project (4th – 7th grade)
LEAP and Norte are partnering to bring you The Bike Más Project an after school bike program aimed to bring adventure to 4th - 7th grade students who already know how to ride a bike.
Norte's Mission // Norte's Vision
Norte is dedicated to building stronger, better connected and more walk/bike friendly communities by empowering the young and young at heart.
Happy, healthy, strong communities.
Kids learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school or the park or the library or the beach – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same is, in our opinion, a powerful means to sustainable well-living and community healthfulness.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their neighborhood.
What steps can we take to get kids off the couch, off their screen and outside? How can we reduce childhood obesity, insane car lines at schools, traffic congestion, air pollution and social isolation? Organized sports and recreation are great but Norte believes that embedding walking and biking into our daily routine, is a significant part of the answer.
Norte’s youth-centered, active transportation-focused, neighborhood-based model combines four interconnected initiatives as a complete package to engage, empower and excite young people and keep them moving forward!
The Bike Más Project teaches confidence, independence, and urban bike safety skills through empowerment, education, and adventure (mucho adventure!) to students who already know how to ride a bike.
ALL Bike Más Project sessions are led by TRAINED Norte staff!
The Bike Más Project teaches confidence, independence, and bike safety skills to 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th graders through empowerment, education, and adventure. Mucho adventure!
The Bike Más Project kids will:
- Learn how to bike safe and bike smart
- Develop bike repair and maintenance skills
- Become a bike handling ninja
- Build confidence. Get fit. and have FUN!
Fall 2018 Schedule: All classes will meet in the library no more than 10 minutes after dismissal. (With the exception of East Middle School)
Each session meets immediately after school and is 90 minutes long. The program begins/ends at school.
We will meet once a week for 4 weeks and sessions start the week of September 17th.
Sessions are limisted to five (5) participants. If 5 participants do not register, the session will be canceled and a refund provided.
Season Start & End Dates: Monday, September 17th, 2018 - Friday, October 12th, 2018.
Session Schedule: All sessions will meet in their school's library (with the exception of East Middle School).
- East Middle School @ Norte Clubhouse - 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM - transportation is NOT provided for this offering. (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Westwoods Elementary - 3:45 pm - 5:15 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Central Grade School - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Long Lake Elementary - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- West Middle School - 2:40 pm - 4:10 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Willow Hill - 3:45 pm - 5:15 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Traverse Heights - 3:45 pm - 5:15 pm
- Montessori Glenn Loomis - 3:15 pm - 4:45 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Courtade Elementary - 3:45 pm - 5:15 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Silver Lake Elementary - 3:15 pm - 4:45 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Eastern Elementary - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
- Blair Elementary - 3:45 pm - 5: 15 pm
- Cherry Knoll Elementary - 3: 45 pm - 5:15 pm (This session is currently FULL - a waiting list has been started)
Norte does offer additional non-LEAP sessions at non-TCAPS schools - for a complete list of their Bike Más Project offerings ,please visit: https://elgruponorte.org/school/bikemasproject/
- Bring a water bottle, helmet, bike and snack to all sessions.
- 5 participant minimum and maximum per school.
- Participants will meet instructor in school library no more than 10 minutes after dismissal.
- In the event school is closed, no LEAP activities will be held per TCAPS policy. There is no guarantee of a make-up date in the case of inclement weather. Missed sessions will only be made up if schedules allow.
- Bikes are available for participants to borrow from Norte's Kids' Bike Library if needed.
Every Bike Más Project participant will receive:
- SWEET Norte T - Shirt
- Complimentary Family Membership to the Norte Clubhouse
- Cost: $25.00
- A reduced fee is available for those who qualify for the free and reduced meals program.
- Participation fees for those that qualify are as follow:
- Free & Reduced Meals Participation Fee: $15.00
If your child does not attend a TCAPS school, select the "Out of District" option.
- In an effort to be a good community partner, LEAP will accept non-TCAPS students when possible. Space is limited and enrollment may be capped for various offerings. For high demand activities TCAPS students will receive priority.
Registration Deadline: Friday, September 14th, 2018.
Payment is required at the time of registration. To register online using a Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or ACH (via a checking or savings account) please register below. Payment with cash or check can be made at the LEAP office located at Central High School, 1150 Milliken, Traverse City. Please use the 1st (smaller) auditorium entrance - we are located just inside the doors to the right. Summer Office Hours are Mondays & Thursdays from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. School Year Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Please call the LEAP office at 231.933.6570 for more information.
NOTE: Registration is not complete until your course appears in your dashboard. You will also receive an email from Eleyo confirming your registration. If you do not receive the confirmation email or see the course in your dashboard, be sure you have not left any course items in your shopping basket. If you need assistance please call the LEAP office (231.933.6570). If you did not receive an email from Eleyo or see your course in your dashboard, the payment did not process and the student is not registered.