Girls Basketball (Grades 6-8)
About Middle School Girls Basketball
LEAP middle school girls basketball welcomes 6-8 grade students of all ability levels and experience. This eight-week program of educational athletics will focus on skill development, gaining an appreciation for the sport of basketball, and teamwork. Effort, attitude, and commitment will directly influence individual growth within the program. A high level of sportsmanship will be expected of all involved with the program. It is our goal to prepare as many young student athletes as possible for involvement at the next level. Students are evaluated by the Director of Basketball Operations (DOBO) as well as the other coaches on staff. They use a rubric that is created by each varsity head coach to assess certain skills and abilities. All students are then placed into 3 tiers based on their evaluation results. Our program philosophy is that students do best when they can learn and grow at the same pace as their peers, regardless of grade level.
Season Start & End Dates
Monday, January 7th, 2019 - Saturday February 23rd, 2019.
- Preliminary Evaluations - will begin during the first week of the season. When evaluations are complete, students will be assigned to tiers for the second part of skill development, practices and team placement. There are three tiers: Gold, White and Black/Green.
- Practices - Each team will have 4-6 hours of on-court direct instruction each week. Practices during any one-week may include any of the 7 days during the week and will be between 1 and 2 hours long on any given day (based on the availability of the coach and facilities). Practice start times will range from immediately after school to 8 PM. Weekend practices may be scheduled and would range from 9 AM to 6 PM on Saturdays and/or 1 PM to 6 PM on Sundays.
- Following tier placements, students will be equitably split into teams within their tier. Once team placements are final, you will be contacted by her coach and receive the practice schedule for the remainder of the season.
East Middle School
Preliminary Evaluation Clinics: TBD
Practice Schedules: TBD
West Middle School: TBD
Games will begin on Monday, January 22nd, 2018.
- With few exceptions, all games will be held at either East Middle School or West Middle School between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm on following dates:
- The game schedule by teams will be created once students have been placed on their teams after evaluations. This schedule will be emailed to you
End of season tournaments will begin on February 23rd, 2019.
Admission will be charged for LEAP middle school basketball, football, volleyball, and wrestling activities. Admission may be paid at each event, or for the entire season with an All-Access Sports Pass. See prices below:
Single Event Admission
- Adults - $3.00
- Students - $2.00
- Children 5 & Under - Free
All Access Athletics Passes
All Access Athletics Passes are available for purchase and include admission to all LEAP and TCAPS athletic events. TCAPS All Access sports passes are not valid for MHSAA-sponsored events. Prices are $100 adults, $70 students, and $30 for senior citizens. Prices remain the same all year no matter what season in which the pass is purchased. Passes can be purchased from the LEAP Office, located at Central High School as well both high school athletic offices.
Director of Basketball Operations
East Middle School
- Adam Warren, email@example.com
West Middle School
- Aislyn Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a non-mandatory meeting to discuss LEAP Middle School Girls Basketball on Sunday, December 16th, 2018 @ 3:00 pm - followed by a Choice Hoops Academy Skills Camp.
- Physicals are required for Middle School Girls Basketball. Physicals must be turned in to the Main Office at East Middle School or the North Wing Office at West Middle School before the start of the season.Download sports physical form
- Transportation is NOT provided for this LEAP offering, transportation will be the sole responsibility of the participants parent/guardian
- Bring a water bottle to practices and games.
- Teams will consist of 7-10 players.
- In the event school is closed, no LEAP activities will be held per TCAPS policy. There is no guarantee of a make-up date in the case of inclement weather. Missed games will only be made up if schedules allow.
- FAQ - Basketball
- Placement from Late Registration is not guaranteed. To ensure placement on a team, register before the deadline.
- Reduced fees are available to those who qualify for the free and reduced meals program. Participation fees for those that qualify are as follows:
- Reduced Meals Participation Fee: $70.00 if registered by the deadline.
- Free Meals Participation Fee: $40.00 if registered by the deadline.
Milk Crate Basketball Assistance
Need an “Assist” this season? LEAP is proud to partner with Milk Crate Basketball, a local nonprofit organization assisting KIDS IN NEED with resources to play and enjoy the game of basketball. Through donations and merchandise sales, Milk Crate Basketball provides kids with a wide range of items needed in order to play and enjoy basketball — shoes, basketballs, hoops, athletic wear, registration fees, etc. [Download the Assist Application for this season.]
Want to learn more about Milk Crate Basketball? For more information: visitwww.milkcratebasketball.org.
Registration Deadline & Details
- Deadline: Thursday, December 20th, 2018.
- Registration deadlines are final. Late registrations may not be accepted after the posted registration close date.
- Register for your school below.
- If your child does not attend a TCAPS school, select the "Non-TCAPS" option.
- In an effort to be a good community partner, LEAP will accept non-TCAPS students when possible. Space is limited and enrollment may be capped for various offerings. For high demand activities TCAPS students will receive priority.
Payment is required at the time of registration. To register online using a Discover, MasterCard, Visa, or ACH (via a checking or savings account) please register below. Payment with cash or check can be made at the LEAP office located at Central High School, 1150 Milliken, Traverse City. Please use the 1st (smaller) auditorium entrance - we are located just inside the doors to the right. Summer Office Hours are Mondays & Thursdays from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. School Year Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Please call the LEAP office at 231.933.6570 for more information.
NOTE: Registration is not complete until your course appears in your dashboard. You will also receive an email from Eleyo confirming your registration. If you do not receive the confirmation email or see the course in your dashboard, be sure you have not left any course items in your shopping basket. If you need assistance please call the LEAP office (231.933.6570). If you did not receive an email from Eleyo or see your course in your dashboard, the payment did not process and the student is not registered.
Full - waiting list